[svlug] dont' let fullscreen program eat all key events

hvrietsc@yahoo.com hvrietsc at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 18:47:02 PST 2001

why not run fullscreen vnc on one screen and the rest of x in another?

here is my script for starting vnc full screen: ctrl-alt-f8 will take you
there and ctrl-alt-f7 will take you back to your other Xwindow

#!/bin/sh
:

XFONTS=/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc\;/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi\;/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
XPATH=/usr/bin/X11

# If the user already has XPATH in their PATH, don't change the path
if expr $PATH : ".*\/usr\/bin\/X11" >/dev/null
then :
else
#  Add XPATH to user's PATH.
	PATH=${PATH}:${XPATH}
fi
export PATH XFONTS

# Now make sure DISPLAY is set. If not set to ":0.0" (i.e. local default
# display) so clients that don't default reasonably don't choke.

[ "$DISPLAY" = "" ]
case $? in
0)
	DISPLAY=:0.0
	export DISPLAY
	;;
esac

# Look for a display that X is not running on.
for XX in 0 1 2 3 4 5
do
#	ps ax | grep Xwrapper | grep :$XX > /dev/null
	ps ax | grep /etc/X11/X | grep :$XX > /dev/null
	[ $? -ne 0 ] && break
	echo X running on $XX
done
echo Trying display $XX.

# Now start X and the intial clients specified in $SYS_RC_DIR/$SYS_RC_FILE
xinit /bin/sh $HOME/bin/vncx $* -- :$XX

And of course you need $HOME/bin/vncx:

#! /bin/sh
PORT=1
PARAMS='-owncmap -truecolour -depth 8'

xterm -e vncviewer -fullscreen -passwd $HOME/.vnc/passwd ${PARAMS} -encodings 'tight copyrect' ${1}:${PORT}

Have fun!