[svlug] copying special files to VFAT

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Nov 10 12:29:01 PST 2001

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:48:26 -0800
Marc MERLIN <marc_news at valinux.com> wrote:

> I can write a perl script to study the filenames and rename them
> before the copy, but I was hoping for something a bit simpler than
> that, like a mount option for the vfat partition that discards
> forbidden characters (I looked in the options, but none seemed to
> do that).

For a slightly similar problem I do the following.

First script the copy tool ala:

  mpycp: cp ${2} ${1}`echo ${2} | echo $dir | sed s./.\\\!.g`

Then:

  pattern=${1}
  path=${2}
  find / -name ${pattern} | xargs -n1 mycp ${path}

Not great, but works.  You could also just use ZOO archives instead.

--
J C Lawrence