[svlug] any south bay retail source for Cheapbytes or similar distro CDs?

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Thu Nov 8 21:22:02 PST 2001

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 06:02:00PM -0800, Jeffrey Siegal wrote:
> I thought you had to use a burning utility.  Does that dd command really
> work?

No[1].

That said, I have, on several occasions, successfully created .iso disc
images by cat'ing or dd'ing the CD-ROM device.  (dd if=/dev/cdrom
of=discimage.iso)  A friend of mine had never thought about doing it
that way and commented that it was much easier than the way he usually
did it, by mounting the disc and running mkisofs on the filesystem.  (El
Torito CD-ROMs necessarily get trickier than just that if you create an
image using this method.)

That said, you should be able to create an md5sum of the .iso used to
create the CD by just running 'md5sum /dev/cdrom'.

One caveat: I've only had much success directly reading the device with
pressed CD-ROMs.  I usually get read errors when I try to do the same
thing on a CD-R (ie, to verify the image was written correctly, 'cmp
filename.iso /dev/cdrom').

[1] http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-3.html

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/