[svlug] any south bay retail source for Cheapbytes or similar distro CDs?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 8 17:57:02 PST 2001

on Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 04:09:11PM -0800, Jeffrey Siegal (jbs at quiotix.com) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" wrote:
> > Interesting.  I'm finding a mismatch for the LNX-BBC published md5sum
> > and my own disk:
> >
> >     disk:        ad6ef17ff8145595728f9fafb7ae495e
> >     lnxbbc.org:  2f87c9e823d44c65da95181cd3e77f4e
>
> I'm not positive, but I think there is some "format" to an .iso file
> that makes it not identical to the blocks on the CD.  If this is
> correct, to correctly calculate the md5sum, you'd have to convert the CD
> to an .iso file and then do an md5sum on that.

I'm also not positive, but I'm almost certain that's wrong.  I don't do
much CD burning, but if the command is:

    $ dd if=image.iso of=/dev/cdrom

...then you're doing an exact binary copy of the image to CD, and vice
versa.  The md5 checksums should match exactly.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/