[svlug] Samba ./configure parameters

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Nov 8 15:24:01 PST 2001

I'm in the process to compile and install Samba on a Linux wannabe
server.

I need simil-NT ACL on just one share (no heavy load on share but
authorization control should be as similar as possible to NT/W2K).

No need for users homes for the Win part etc..

Accounts should be centrally managed (NT PDC!! & NIS+??) and in sync
with Linux accounts but if possible they should be different from the
set of accounts of the Linux box running Samba, this box should just
provide authentication to other Linux/Win boxes but not share with
them these accounts.

I've some doubt about what to chose to centrally manage Linux
accounts NIS+? LDAP? The system chosen should be as simple as
possible and coexist/collaborathe well with NFS and of course Samba.

Now I should configure Samba and I've some doubt about these options:

--with-smbwrapper
--with-smbmount
The second should make the first unnecessary. Right?

--with-vfs
do I need this if I'm planning to have ACL as NT?

--with-acl-support
seems usefull but I really didn't find any docs about it

--with-pam
--with-pam_smbpass
Should solve sync probelms. Right?

--with-fhs
seems a very good cherry on the cake. Is it?

--with-nisplussam
If I choose NIS+ will this be enough to sync Samba and NIS+?
What if I choose another way to centralize account management?

--with-nisplus-home
seems unnecessary

Unfortunately I haven't find any good docs on these option and while
they may be obvious to a more experienced Linux user I find them not
that clear to interpret from just their names.

Samba is 2.2.2, kernel 2.4.13

TIA

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
avid reader of /usr/src/linux/Documentation/