[svlug] any south bay retail source for Cheapbytes or similar distro CDs?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 8 12:29:02 PST 2001

on Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 10:48:20AM -0800, Alan Denney (yosemite at programmer.net) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to experiment with several current distros to check for
> compatibility with some database software I'm using before choosing a
> primary one (at which point we'll get the retail package).  Do any
> local computer stores or whatever sell the plain vanilla
> Cheapbytes-style distros?  I really only need Mandrake 7.2 and 8.1 to
> start and would like to start immediately.  I only have dial-up, so
> downloading a full .iso would be a pain.

Cheapbytes or a friend (or friends) with disks or high-speed lines is
prolly your best bet, the former if you can wait a couple of days.

The aforementioned mall (~500 Lawrence Expywy, Sunnyvale) has a number
of tech shops, one or more of which may have GNU/Linux distros.  There
may also be a few multi-distro GNU/Linux CD's at Frys (at least in Palo
Alto), though I'm not positive -- there's a few jewelcases labeled
"developers foo", or somesuch.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/