[svlug] Er...what happened?

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Thu Nov 8 00:07:01 PST 2001

>From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself at ix.netcom.com>
>on Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:46:04PM -0800, Rafael Skodlar (raffi at linwin.com)=
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:32:13PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>> > So, I arrived in The Land of Numbers...to find a note taped to the door.
>> > Anyone care to explain what happened tonight?
>>=20
>> The meeting moved to Bldg. J. I made it on time I'm happy to say.
>
>Hmm...The note on #9 said "moved", then crossed out and "cancelled".

It was the "cancelled" that was crossed out.  But it was probably confusing.
To me, that seemed like a hint that things had been worse within the hour
before the meeting.

>Oh well.  Would have liked to've caught the show.

Sorry about that.  Under the circumstances we did what we could to get
everyone there.  Still, with the last-minute nature of the change, it
seemed inevitable that someone wouldn't make it.  We also thought some
people would just give up rather than follow the directions 1-1/4 mile
away in the dark.  I led two convoys of cars and waited a third time
until 7:30 when no one else came to Bldg 9.  No one needed a ride when
I asked.  Attendance was about 250 - excellent for a meeting that was
moved at the last minute, when there was also a conflicting event in
Oakland.  (Most or all the SF and Berkeley folks may have gone there.)
I think that says lots for our speaker.

Steve Traugott also led a convoy too.  Since Bldg J is SVLUG's old meeting
location (and where Linus spoke at SVLUG's 10th anniversary in 1998),
I wouldn't be surprised if some other long-time members also said, "I know
where it is.  Follow me."  Too bad you didn't run into one of them...

>From what I heard, Tracy (the guy who reserves the room) got the word at
6PM about the double-booking.  He put up the sign on the door and did
what he could.  If we had at least a day's notice we could have sent
e-mails and changed the web site.  We still have a page with directions
to Bldg J.  We just didn't have time to put it to use for this meeting.