[svlug] pcmcia modem under Linux?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 5 22:56:01 PST 2001

on Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 12:03:23AM -0500, Matt Billenstein (mbillens at one.net) wrote:
> Just bought this laptop, Sony PCG-R505TL.  Pretty good unit and
> everything seems to work under RH7.2 except the modem.  If anyone has
> any good ideas for getting it working, shoot them my way, but I'm sure
> it's some crappy integrated winmodem that might be a real pain to get
> working.  I'd like to just drop a PCMCIA modem in it and forget about
> it.
>
> One without a dongle that will fit into a single slot would be nice...

Ambicom makes one, the AMB8802, it's sold by QLITech with their units.
I've had good results with it under the TuxTops Amethyst (same unit).
There's a dongle, but I haven't busted it yet (unlike, say, the 3Com
ethernet dongles I've sent to an early grave....).

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/