[svlug] Harddisk repartitioning troubles: solved by GNU Parted!!

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Mon Nov 5 08:28:02 PST 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 07:55:45AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:25:35PM -0800, Drew wrote:
> > Then I tried rescuept.  After waiting for some time for the program to
> > run, I looked at the output.  It's something like:
> >
> > # rescuept /dev/hda
> > # partition table of /dev/hda
> > # total size 40021632 sectors
> > unit: sectors
> > #  6000 MB   ext2 partition (type 83): sectors        63- 12288526
> > /dev/hda0 : start=       63, size=12288464, Id=83
>
> I've  seen several  programs that  rescue  primary partitions  but what  I'm
> really interested in is a program that rescues logical ones too (those are a
> linked list on disk)
> I've done this by hand with a  disk editor once, repairing the partitions by
> writing bytes on disk in the right places, and it took many hours.

rescuept is reported to work w/ logical partitions.  I'll report on
that tomorrow or Wednesday as I will have one to work on then.  You
might want to set up a spare drive and try it out as well.  It's soooo
much fun!

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdx bs=512 count=1

should give you a good test case :)

--
Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...

Linux 10th Anniversary Picnic/BBQ - visit http://linux10.org