[svlug] Harddisk repartitioning troubles: solved by GNU Parted!!

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Mon Nov 5 07:57:01 PST 2001

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:25:35PM -0800, Drew wrote:
> Then I tried rescuept.  After waiting for some time for the program to
> run, I looked at the output.  It's something like:
>
> # rescuept /dev/hda
> # partition table of /dev/hda
> # total size 40021632 sectors
> unit: sectors
> #  6000 MB   ext2 partition (type 83): sectors        63- 12288526
> /dev/hda0 : start=       63, size=12288464, Id=83

I've  seen several  programs that  rescue  primary partitions  but what  I'm
really interested in is a program that rescues logical ones too (those are a
linked list on disk)
I've done this by hand with a  disk editor once, repairing the partitions by
writing bytes on disk in the right places, and it took many hours.

Marc