[svlug] script the gimp

Ira Weiny iweiny at acm.org
Sun Nov 4 16:55:01 PST 2001

Matt Billenstein wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a bunch of jpg images I want to resize..  I've read a little bit
> about the scheme interface in the gimp, but I'm lost.  I'd like to use the
> gimp -batch option with some type of input script if I could to make a
> couple hundred images half size.  Does anyone have an example of using
> -batch or an example of a simple script which opens an image, modifies it,
> and then saves it?

Personally I do this all the time but I use cjpeg and djpeg.  There is a
loss involved since you are decompressing and recompressing the image
but Gimp will in essence do the same thing.

djpeg -targa -scale 1/2 input.jpg | cjpeg -progressive -outfile
output.jpg

Of course this also makes the output.jpg progressive for better web
performance.  But I am assuming that is what you are trying to do.

Hope this helps,
Ira Weiny
iweiny at acm.org