[svlug] Windows XP a better operating system

Bryan-TheBS-Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Nov 4 11:23:01 PST 2001

Nate Campi wrote:
> One thing to keep in mind is that there is no 2.5 kernel branch.
> This means that 2.4 is essentially the development branch.

Er, that is _very_misleading_!

DISCLAIMER:  I'm not a kernel developer, but on several lists and have
been doing Linux system administration since 0.96.

First off, fixes to 2.4 are being made for the sake of 2.4 features,
*NOT* 2.3/2.4 design "afterthoughts."  They are trying to stabilize the
VM, of which they thought they had before 2.4.0 came out.  As more and
more systems started to use it, that was clearly *NOT* the case.

We had very similar problems with 2.2.x if you remember.  For those of
us who used kernel NFS, it was the _exact_ same deal with the 2.2.x
series.  This led me to stick with only RedHat kernel releases.  I'm
doing the same for kernel 2.4 and it seems to keep my systems stable.

Secondly, 2.5 _will_ start once the VM stuff gets "settled down."  The
second 2.5 conference is about to start and I've seen Cox pinging the
XFS list regularly over the last few months.  2.5 would have started
months ago except Linux, Cox and everyone else seems to be putting
maximum effort into 2.4 right now.

> I use it on most machines, but still, we're testing out some major
> changes to the kernel right now for Linux and crew.

Again, I stick with RedHat's heavily patched and tested kernels.

> 2.2.20 is out, think hard about using it for production single proc
> machines, maybe all of them.

2.2.x is still quite a good choice for many systems.  RedHat is still
actively releasing updates for version 6.2 as well.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org