[svlug] Solaris - Changing the version number reported by uname -r

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Sun Nov 4 00:50:02 PST 2001

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 06:18:34PM -0800, Cameron Palmer wrote:
> If you run uname -r on solaris 8 it returns 5.8. Anyone know what needs
> to be altered to make it return 5.7? I need to install a program that
> checks revision number and should run fine but cam out before 8 was
> released.

First of all - this isn't Solaris Valley Users Group, it's Silicon Vally
LINUX Users Group. Note the all caps in Linux. This belongs on a Solaris
list.

I have dealt with this before, and either a) hard coded the var in the
shell script that did the installation so it never even ran uname or b)
(haven't done this but should work) you put a shell script 'uname' of
your own making that returns the value you want, and put it earlier in
the path than the real uname or move the real one out of the way
temporarily and put yours in it's place.
--
Nate Campi, UNIX Ops WiReD SF, Terra Lycos DNS, (415) 276-8678

The best answer when anybody asks you if you're any good with
explosives is to hold up two open hands and simply say "Ten".