[svlug] Where to (re) register a Domain Name?

Ron theotiwii at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 3 12:07:01 PST 2001

Time to renew our hold on a domain name. For years we've been with
VeriSign but a look at the $70/yr renewal suggests it may be time to
consider another vendor.

This may be relevant:

We have no site (yet). Years ago we thought to protect our name from
squatters by paying to reserve it, on the cheep. A few confusing days on
Granitcanyon (free nameserver) procured us the two nameserver addresses
required by (then ?) Network Solutions, since then we(I)'ve been afraid
to rock the boat by changing to a new Register (since the nameservers
point to nothing).

Now it appears Domain Registrants consider this a part of their service
and will host an "Under Construction" page to keep things nice and tidy.

Any advice? I've made the usual google / web searches,
www.weblaunching.net appears adequate ($12) but I didn't find much to
base a conclusion on. Any help would be appreciated.

Again, Thank you.

-Ron