[svlug] safe_mysqld problem -- previous instance still bound

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Fri Nov 2 21:01:01 PST 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 05:16:03PM -0800, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:56:11PM +0000, Benjamin Weigand wrote:
>
> > The problem:
> >
> > When mySQL dies out safe_mysqld is not restarting it. When
> > safe_mysqld attempts to restart it, I am getting an error in the
> > logs indicating that the port is still in use and that mysql can not
> > bind (since the port is in use).
>
> The problem is that MySQL is dying.  It should never do that.
>
> Upgrade your kernel to something other than 2.2.14 and the problem
> will likely go away.  It's been a known buggy kernel for all things
> MySQL.

Yeah, definitely upgrade from 2.2.14 if you use mysql.

You should be able to check your mysql error log and find both the
reason why the daemon is dying and why it won't start up.  I imagine
it might be the mysql.sock socket file or mysqld.pid isn't being
removed.  Pour over the safe_mysqld script to find where the logfiles,
pid files, etc are kept.

--
Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...

Linux 10th Anniversary Picnic/BBQ - visit http://linux10.org