[svlug] Harddisk repartitioning troubles: solved by GNU Parted!!

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Fri Nov 2 19:26:02 PST 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 04:30:47PM -0800, Drew Bertola wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:01:23PM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> > We do have parted on the LNX-BBC.
>
> Has anyone tried using parted to re-create a lost partition table.  I
> will be trying that this weekend and would like advice.

Thanks to Karsten and Breen for suggesting some solutions.  This
wasn't all that bad once I got to it.

I used gpart, but it's output seemed a little cryptic (the first
time).  Also, it doesn't handle extended partition tables.

Then I tried rescuept.  After waiting for some time for the program to
run, I looked at the output.  It's something like:

# rescuept /dev/hda
# partition table of /dev/hda
# total size 40021632 sectors
unit: sectors
#  6000 MB   ext2 partition (type 83): sectors        63- 12288526
/dev/hda0 : start=       63, size=12288464, Id=83

Using fdisk I found that I could issue the "u" command to "change
display/entry units", then create the new partition starting at sector
63 and ending at +12288464 (determined from output "start=63,
size=12288464").

I wrote the table, then mounted /dev/hda1.  Success!

--
Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...

Linux 10th Anniversary Picnic/BBQ - visit http://linux10.org