[svlug] Mass copying

Karl F. Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Mar 18 07:55:01 PST 2001

	About a month ago I got a 30 gb hard drive and wanted to just move
Linux from the old to the new drive. I made a Linux partition on the big
drive, mounted it to Linux on the old drive and used for example, cp -a
/bin /new and it worked without a flaw, no sim links were lost, nothing
went wrong except lilo didn't like the big hd, and /etc/fstab had to be
corrected for the new hd geometry.

	Using it now, and nice to have lots of space again...

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> > > cd /usr
> > > cp -a /usr /foo
> >
> > Unreliable treatment of sparse files,
>
> Apparently the --sparse flag can fix this.

Yours Truly,

  	 - Karl F. Larsen, k5di at arrl.net  (505) 524-3303  -