[svlug] 1U chassis entertainment
alvin at planet.fef.com
Sat Mar 3 16:01:01 PST 2001
hi ya svluggers
donno if you know.... but frys(sunnyvale) has the supermicro 1U chassis
on display... nice design.... expensive though ...
worth looking at if you have any interests in 1U chassis
- has 2 removable scsi bays
but the funny chassis i saw today... ( across the street at disk drive depot )
the good thing...is they also have slim cdrom and slim floppy drives...
and super120 floppy drives.... ( cdrom/floppy comes in black or std beige )
- and looks like disk drive depot is getting into the 19" rackmount biz
too as they have the standard telephone racks on display...
the odd thing is...these eia racks are on wheels !!!
- eia racks on wheels is good for marketing folks and trade shows i suppose
their 1U chassis...for $220.... from the quick look at it...
- they put 8 fans inside....which prevents the ide cable from
the motherboard to get to the ide drives...
- dont like the idea of dragging the ide cable up
and over a sharp metal ( the mounting brackets for the fan )
and the 40mm fan is already almost too tall to fit
inside the 1.75" external height allowed for the 1U chassis
subtract 0.5" for the top metal and 0.5" for the bottom
and mounting bracket curves...and there is no room left
- i dont think the ide cables will last 6 monthhs before the
vibration cuts thru the soft ide cable insulation and the
disks starts mis-behaving
- and the way the ide disks mounts...
- its nice that you can mount the disk to the bracket
- slide the bracket into the 1u chass...
- problem is ...how do you lock it down ????
- the locking screws is underneath the drives...
unless you force the drives to sit way out to the
front....( unbalancing the mounting brackets again
oh welll.. i had a fun time all by myself...
have fun linuxing
More information about the svlug