[svlug] ntp problem - rh7.1

Benjamin Weigand bigwiggs at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:02:01 PDT 2001

Disclaimer: Please don't flame me for my vagueness, I have tried to get as
many details as where available.

Hello All!

System Description:
RedHat 7.1 - default kernel
Dell 4350 & 6350
Running ntp.

A friend of mine has been getting an error message on his linux boxen
running RH7.1 almost every hour (but apparently only at the edge of the hour
59-00). The error states that it is unable to update time and repeats the
message with the following statement in sequence "56 to 0", "57 to 1", "58
to 2", etc. I think this is similar to the message the message that can
result from a hwclock way out of synch, but the hwclock is within a few
minutes of the time.

<I had written the message down, then lost it :( >

Also, when pinging from the same box to another <sane> system, he gets the
warning - "warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures".

I hope someone here recognized this and can explain it.

thanks,

ben weigand