[svlug] sendmail and unwanted attachments

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:57:02 PDT 2001

I've been using stripmime (http://www.clarity.net/~adam/stripmime/,
to distinguish it from others by that name) to protect some public
email addresses from the infamous SirCam virus, which still rages
unabated as far as I can tell.  In /etc/mail/aliases, I have
	postmaster: "|/usr/local/bin/stripmime -rbm -i text/plain,text/html| /usr/sbin/sendmail -fowner-postmaster root"
	owner-postmaster: root

Attachments other than text/plain or text/html are removed and the
following annotation is inserted:
	#### MIME type "application/mixed" sacrificed to appease the gods ####

The aliases entry looks weird and editing the various addresses
seems a bit error-prone.  What are other folks doing to selectively
deal with unwanted attachments?  Banning all attachments is
unfortunately not an option...

Thanks,
Romain