[svlug] Further Sklyarov events

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 30 19:32:01 PDT 2001

on Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 05:36:42PM -0700, Ian Kluft (ikluft at thunder.sbay.org) wrote:
> >From: Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>
> >Karsten M. Self writes:

> >The rain in San Francisco this morning is light and so far it looks
> >like it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> That wasn't really rain.  With no mountains to protect SF from the
> ocean, the fog is thick enough that it drizzles until it thins out and
> "burns off" as the Sun heats the air.  It happens all the time there,
> so I've heard.  But it seems relly weird coming from mostly-blue sky
> in SJ and going to drizzle in SF.
>
> That was what happenned today.  Since nothing went wrong on the trip
> there, I caught an earlier train than I had planned and arrived about
> 45 minutes early.  (I got the second-to-last parking space at the
> Union City BART station so I would have needed the schedule padding if
> I had been 1 minute later!)  I noticed the drizzle as soon as I went
> up the steps from the subway station.  But it stopped drizzling before
> the 11:30 assembly time.  By the end of the protest, the fog was
> breaking up and blue sky was beginning to show.
>
> We don't usually get that weather here in the South Bay because the
> mountains hold back the marine stratus layer.  When the TV stations
> from SF say "fog", we get low clouds at worst down here.  And it
> breaks up much earlier in the day giving San Jose a climate more like
> inland areas.  Those mountains make a huge difference in climate
> between SF and SJ, just 50 miles apart.

If you're really hurting for fog, you can hop westward towards the
coast.  That same marine layer's usually hanging out right there, much
closer than SF, and the traffic's often better (CA 17 excepted).

All told, excellent protest weather.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal