[svlug] Further Sklyarov events

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Mon Jul 30 17:39:02 PDT 2001

>From: Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>
>Karsten M. Self writes:
>> > Any idea of contingency plans due to rain or are we just gonna
>> > use umbrellas?  (since it's somewhat raining)  I'm still not used to what
>> > people consider "weather" out here so I don't know what they do about
>> > precipitation.
>>
>> Suffer for the good of man ;-)

There was no suffering there.  The clouds kept it from being hot like it
was at Adobe last week.  Also the 1-hour duration on the amplification
permit meant we could yell louder because we weren't going to be there
all afternoon. :-)

I heard estimates of 130-160 attendees at the protest.  So we showed that
the Bay Area can turn out a crowd in both San Jose and San Francisco,
even though not all the same people can get off to attend both.

>[...]
>The rain in San Francisco this morning is light and so far it looks
>like it shouldn't be a problem.

That wasn't really rain.  With no mountains to protect SF from the ocean,
the fog is thick enough that it drizzles until it thins out and "burns off"
as the Sun heats the air.  It happens all the time there, so I've heard.
But it seems relly weird coming from mostly-blue sky in SJ and going to
drizzle in SF.

That was what happenned today.  Since nothing went wrong on the trip there,
I caught an earlier train than I had planned and arrived about 45 minutes
early.  (I got the second-to-last parking space at the Union City BART
station so I would have needed the schedule padding if I had been 1 minute
later!)  I noticed the drizzle as soon as I went up the steps from the
subway station.  But it stopped drizzling before the 11:30 assembly time.
By the end of the protest, the fog was breaking up and blue sky was
beginning to show.

We don't usually get that weather here in the South Bay because the
mountains hold back the marine stratus layer.  When the TV stations from
SF say "fog", we get low clouds at worst down here.  And it breaks up much
earlier in the day giving San Jose a climate more like inland areas.
Those mountains make a huge difference in climate between SF and SJ,
just 50 miles apart.