[svlug] LILO Question

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Jul 30 14:08:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:52:07 -0700
Nate Campi <nate at wired.com> wrote:

> Right, but in this case we're talking about boxes in a datacenter
> - meaning you can't "select" anything (not with PC hardware
> without any special console access). The box in this scenario has
> to automatically boot a good kernel - that's where "lilo -R" comes
> in.

Yup.  What I do there is to install the new kernel as non-default,
and then spec LILO to use that kernel on the next boot.  If it
works, great, if it doesn't (and you don't have a hardware watchdog)
someone wanders by and pokes the reset button causing it to boot
back into a known-good kernel.

--
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.