[svlug] LILO Question

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Mon Jul 30 13:53:02 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 12:47:16PM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:35:06 -0700
> Nate Campi <nate at wired.com> wrote:
>
> > Everytime I install a new kernel I set the single boot kernel with
>
> > # lilo -R $kernel-name
>
> I religiously keep at least two or three bootable kernels installed
> on my systems.  This way, when installing a new kernel I just don't
> have to care.  If the new kernel crashes I can reboot and select a
> new (working) boot target next time.

Right, but in this case we're talking about boxes in a datacenter -
meaning you can't "select" anything (not with PC hardware without any
special console access). The box in this scenario has to automatically
boot a good kernel - that's where "lilo -R" comes in.
--
Nate Campi  (415) 276-8678  UNIX Ops, Terra Lycos - WiReD SF