[svlug] Need Linux utility to boot up from another device

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Jul 30 10:46:02 PDT 2001

Wing Newton writes:

> Greetings,
>
> 	Is there a Linux userland utility that allows me to boot the system
> from another device e.g. pcmcia ATA flash card ? Note that I can use
> RedHat pcmcia.img (floppy image) to boot from a PCMCIA Flash but I like to
> use an userland utility program i.e. not from LILO (for example) which allows
> me to validate the user before it is allowed to boot up from a pcmcia Flash
> card.

You might want to look at "Two-Kernel Monte".  It's kind of like
LOADLIN, but it runs under Linux.

It was written by somebody at Scyld, and it can be extremely handy in
certain circumstances.  I've managed to use it to boot a kernel via
HTTP, something vaguely like

modprobe kmonte
wget -O- http://machine.net/kernel.img | monte -

I don't remember the whole command line, but I'd be glad to
demonstrate it or look it up if anybody wants.  monte is good stuff.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull