[svlug] how to get to the protest?

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Mon Jul 30 02:57:01 PDT 2001

Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who was trying to decide how to get from
the South Bay to the protest in SF.  The SF folks have a similar situation
when coming to events in San Jose, though not with as much a parking problem
at the destination.

The parking issue is particularly bad for me since my truck won't fit in
parking garages.  Anyway, I haven't been to SF in about 4 years.  I haven't
ridden BART in 14 years.  So I should probably get a reality check on my
plans.  Here are the ideas I came up with, in order from highest to lowest
interest for me.

1) BART from Union City
   park at Union City BART
   BART from Union City to Civic Center                          10:11-10:56
   advantage: shortest trip, drive is counter-commute
   disadvantage: not familiar with the station area or parking

2) Caltrain/Muni Metro
   park at Mtn View Transit Center
   Caltrain from Mtn View to SF                                  09:19-10:35
   Muni Metro light rail/subway from Caltrain to Civic Center    10:40-10:56
   advantage: parking expected to be available
   disadvantage: delay from transfer to Muni Metro

3) VTA Light Rail/Caltrain/Muni Metro
   park at my office
   VTA light rail from Cisco Way to Mtn View                     08:30-09:06
   Caltrain from Mtn View to SF                                  09:19-10:35
   Muni Metro light rail/subway from Caltrain to Civic Center    10:40-10:56
   advantages: convenient parking
   disadvantages: takes too long, delays from 2 transfers

4) BART from Fremont
   attempt to park at Fremont BART ("impossible" after 8:30AM)
   BART from Fremont to Civic Center                             10:06-10:56
   advantages: shortest trip, drive is counter-commute
   disadvantages: it won't happen - never find a parking space

I aimed to be there by 11AM so that I have 30 minutes of flexibility for the
11:30AM assembly time.

Places I found these schedules:

   VTA light rail
   http://www.vta.org/schedules/light_rail_schedules.html