[svlug] novice question

Rafael raffi at linwin.com
Sun Jul 29 23:20:01 PDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Estelle Baer wrote:

> Linux advisors:
>
> Win2000 was cleared from an old laptop and SuSE 7.2,
> Kernel 4.4.4, was installed. A Backpack HD was

I did take some time to sleep over the weekend but did I sleep over 3.x?
You probably mean 2.4.4. Not that it's important.

> connected to the laptop's parallel port. After
> running
>
> insmod parport
> insmod parport_pc
> insmod paride
> insmod bpck6
> insmod pd

Good.

> Linux sees the BPHD. What precisely are the next
> commands which are required to mount the BPHD,
> assuming that the mount point is to be bphd?

You mean the mount point is going to be /bphd?

Mounting point is not that critical even though my policy is not to create
directories under /

I normaly add drives/partitions into whatever tree needs additional space.

First you need to partition the drive with fdisk or more friendly cfdisk.

cfdisk /dev/bphd
	and assuming you created only one partition
fsck /dev/bphd1

> After the BPHD is mounted, it is intended to make
> a single partition on it. (Is just one partition
> a good idea?) What is the command to make the

If that drive is a second one then one partition makes sense.

On the main disk drive I always create 5 or more partitions. After few
installs you get an idea what the partition size is supposed to be.
Having more than one partition is especially useful when you upgrade or
replace the OS. In that case all you need is to tar config files and logs,
if you want to preserve them, to /home partition. Other partitions can be
reformatted for the clean install.

> partition? After the partition is defined, are
> there other preparations required for this partition
> before it can be used? And finally, are there other

Yes, fsck is needed.

And of course you want an entry in /etc/fstab for automatic mount during
bootup. Need to be careful here since your drive is detachable and not
necessarily ready during bootup.

> questions that should have been asked here but which
> would not occur to a novice?

Depends. You are on the right track. I suggest a good book. There are many
you can chose from.

Good luck,

# Rafael Skodlar
#    Linux, So it was written, so it shall be done.