[svlug] novice question

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 29 14:21:02 PDT 2001

on Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 01:39:33PM -0700, Dan Martinez (dfm at area.com) wrote:
> Estelle Baer wrote:
>
> > (Is just one partition a good idea?)
>
> Opinions differ on this. Separate partitions make backup easier and
> prevent users from hosing the entire system by gobbling too much disk
> space, among other things. If, on the other hand, you mis-estimate the
> space you'll need for a given partition, you may be in for a rough
> time, since resizing partitions isn't exactly a walk in the park.
>
> Since it sounds like the BPHD isn't the primary disk for this machine,
> you can *probably* get away with a single partition.

Note that this is a removeable device.  Partitioning an LS120 superdisk
probably isn't something you have to consider as deliberately as your
main system partitions.

Generally, I'd go with one partition on removable media, unless I had
really good reasons for needing additional ones.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal