[svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG meeting Wed, 1 August, 7 pm.: Taos, The SysAdmin Co.

Tom Geller svlug at tgeller.com
Fri Jul 27 18:15:01 PDT 2001

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of SVLUG, this coming Wednesday.

WHEN:
   Wednesday 1 August, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:
   Taos -- The SysAdmin Co.
   <http://www.taos.com>
   Mark C. Langston, Chief Technical Officer

ABOUT:
   Putting the systems back into Systems Administration

   From the advent of the first digital computer, systems
   administration has meant coaxing software and hardware to
   efficiently perform a given set of tasks.  Over the years,
   the equipment, operating systems, and applications have
   grown more complex.  To effectively manage today's demands,
   an SA must consider and control not only the hardware and
   software one normally thinks of when using the word
   'systems', but the people and environment in which these
   systems function.  This talk will detail the ways in which
   these components are also systems to be administered, and
   will outline the factors that must be considered to encompass
   this broader definition of systems administration.

MORE ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
   Mark C. Langston is the Chief Technical Officer of Taos --
   The SysAdmin Company, headquartered in Santa Clara, CA.  He
   has been administering Unix systems of various flavors and
   the networks that connect them for approximately 10 years.
   He is a member of the SAGE Certification Policy committee
   and the Linux Professional Institute's Advisory Council.
   He holds a master's degree in experimental cognitive psychology
   from the University of Chicago.

WHERE:
   Cisco Building 9.
   The land of NUMBERS. The VINEYARDS conference center.
   The side we are on is the Silver Oak/Jordan conference rooms,
   where a large Cisco fountain is usually not turned on.
   http://www.svlug.org/directions-cisco-9.shtml
     *** use this if you encounter DNS problems reaching it ***
   http://svlug.org/directions-cisco-9.shtml
   If you have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team
   know! web-team at svlug.org

NOTES:
   It's best if you arrive close to on time, as otherwise
   there may not be someone posted at the door to let you in.
     After the speakers end their presentation there is usually
   a Q&A session, time for job seekers and employers to meet,
   and often a few door prizes.
     When the meeting is over people are encouraged to chat a bit,
   but also to exit the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't
   worry, a lot of us go to dinner afterward so there's plenty
   of time to chat outdoors or offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!

--

          Tom Geller  *  San Francisco * tgeller.com
bandwidthpr.com, openppc.org, suespammers.org, popcomputers.com