[svlug] request: which notebook to buy?

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Fri Jul 27 01:02:02 PDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 00:22:50 -0700

> That having been said, I personally think Aqua/Quartz is a step
> backwards -- aesthetically -- from the NeXTStep desktop design.

I've large quibbles with some of the widget designs (eg the dock and
scrollbar handling), but I'll leave those to the side.  Fortunately
none of that is cast in stone and, of course, the IPC protocols are
open meaning window managers et al can join in the fray freely.

> I also think that the GNUstep implementation of the OpenStep
> specification is the right way for the freenix community to be
> moving over the long term:

Certainly its a sight preferable to the horrors that are GNOME and
KDE.

> I'd love to be able to ditch X11 for
> Display Ghostscript, and GNUstep provides a migration path to get
> there.

BTW:  Is NextStep's Display Postscript setup network transparent?

--
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.