[svlug] request: which notebook to buy?

Gareth J. Greenaway gareth at wiked.org
Thu Jul 26 12:36:02 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 10:48:33PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
[snip what I wrote]

> Indeed.  Both should run various Linux distributions quite well.  The
> Titanium G4 iBook's DVD drive is now supported well enough that xine
> (http://xine.sourceforge.net) will play DVDs on it.

Does this play encrypted DVDs as well.

[another snip]

> As to Mac OS X, I've always said that there's nothing wrong with it that
> omitting Quartz/Aqua, MSIE, the Cocoa layer, and the Classic.app OS 9
> layer -- and adding the XFree86 Darwin port -- doesn't fix.  Except you
> lose a bit of performance compared to *BSD or Linux.

Personal preference on these things, MSIE does suck.  Thats a given,
but Aqua is a very cool UI in my opinion and very intuitive.  I suppose
you have to have used and liked the user interface of NeXT and OpenStep
to really dig the UI on OS X.

> One starting point (not the best) for Unix on Macs:
> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#maclinux
>
> (I have a new toy:  A PowerMac 7200 that a friend gave me.  Something
> like 256 MB RAM and a 90 MHz PowerPC 601.  Should be fun.)

Might I suggest replace that motherboard with a 7500, i've heard the
7200s tend to be a big buggy.

						Gareth

--
Gareth J. Greenaway