[svlug] half ethernet working

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Thu Jul 26 01:22:02 PDT 2001

J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:11:32 -0500 (CDT)
> Vince Duperron <duperron at charter.net> wrote:
>
> > Just installed debian over the net (Linux gate
> > 2.2.19pre17-compact).  When I installed it asked if I wanted in
> > install over ef0 or ef1.  After the installation was complete only
> > ef0 is available.  Both network cards are identical PCI cards.
> > One works fine and one is invisible.
>
> > Any ideas about how to get the other network device available?
>
> You need to pass parameters to your kernel at boot time to recognise
> and init the second card.  Read the revelant docs in
> linux/Documentation.

  I don't remember doing anything and it works (I too have two PCI
cards). there's nothing in /etc/lilo.conf, do you mean the following in
/etc/modutils/erik.eth (that's for debian, it gets automagically into
/etc/modules.conf so for other distros you might want to put it there):

# rtl8139 driver from kernel (two cards)
alias eth0            8139too
alias eth1            8139too

  here is what I have in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface lo inet loopback

# erik: dsl line
iface eth0 inet static
        address <my IP address (static)>
        netmask <255.255.255.0 or whatever your netmask is>
        gateway <gateway address here>

# erik: LAN ethernet card
iface eth1 inet static
        address <192.168.1.1 or other IP reserved for private networks>
        network 192.168.1.0
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255

auto lo