[svlug] how to disable double clicki

Christopher William Wesley cwwesley at udlug.org
Wed Jul 25 14:00:01 PDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 hvrietsc at yahoo.com wrote:

> I saw an article a long time ago that explained how to change something
> in one of the /etc dns config files on your linux box so that all
> communciation while browsing with double click would get rerouted to
> localhost (and thus nothing would be send to them).

What you probably read about was making entries in your /etc/hosts file,
pointing ad hosts to localhost (127.0.0.1).
Check this out for a phat example ...
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml

It seems kind of cheesy, especially when your localhost isn't running a
web server.  With the newest Mozilla, it tells you about connection it
couldn't make with an error dialogue box ... highly annoying.

If you haven't ruled it out already, give JunkBuster a look too.
http://internet.junkbuster.com/

        ~Chris