[svlug] request: which notebook to buy?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 24 22:47:01 PDT 2001

begin Gareth J. Greenaway quotation:
> Im surprised (not really :) that no one was mentioned the new apple
> ibook or apple titanium powerbook.  Both machines are very well put
> together and both should run Linux.  They both also run Mac OS X.

Indeed.  Both should run various Linux distributions quite well.  The
Titanium G4 iBook's DVD drive is now supported well enough that xine
(http://xine.sourceforge.net) will play DVDs on it.

NetBSD and OpenBSD can also work.  For the Titanium, you should use
NetBSD-current (not the release v. 1.5.1 or earlier), to avoid teething
problems with support of new ROMs, etc., and the internal modem isn't
supported, yet.  NetBSD has problems with Bondi Blue iMacs' USB
keyboards (there's a workaround), but others are fine.  OpenBSD seems to
have no problems with any iMacs.  On Titanium iBooks, OpenBSD may work
fine, but only limited testing has yet been done.

As to Mac OS X, I've always said that there's nothing wrong with it that
omitting Quartz/Aqua, MSIE, the Cocoa layer, and the Classic.app OS 9
layer -- and adding the XFree86 Darwin port -- doesn't fix.  Except you
lose a bit of performance compared to *BSD or Linux.

One starting point (not the best) for Unix on Macs:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#maclinux

(I have a new toy:  A PowerMac 7200 that a friend gave me.  Something
like 256 MB RAM and a 90 MHz PowerPC 601.  Should be fun.)

--
Cheers,                                             Live Faust, die Jung.
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com