iBook/Titanium & Linux (was Re: [svlug] request: which notebook to buy?)

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue Jul 24 11:58:02 PDT 2001

At 10:46 AM -0700 7/24/01, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>on Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 10:33:30AM -0700, Gareth J. Greenaway
>(gareth at wiked.org) wrote:
>>
>>  Im surprised (not really :) that no one was mentioned the new apple
>>  ibook or apple titanium powerbook.  Both machines are very well put
>>  together and both should run Linux.  They both also run Mac OS X.
>>  There was some issue of using sound on the iBook on the Linux sound but
>>  I believe that it has been or is close to being worked out.  I recently
>>  picked up one of the iBooks and im really happen with it.
>
>Deirdre Saoirse dual-boots Mac and GNU/Linux on her iBook, I believe.
>If you want info, ping her.

Actually, I run only MacOS X (aka Darwin, which is a BSD variant with
a proprietary graphics layer) on my iBook. I do know that Linux runs
on both machines, but I've never tried it (saw them running at the
Yellow Dog booth at MacWorldExpo last week though).

Since I have the same toolchain (gcc, sed, awk, etc.), there didn't
seem to be much point in putting a Linux partition on it.
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com    http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time.... Is infinite time. You... are finite....