[svlug] Victory is sweet...

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Tue Jul 24 11:53:02 PDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:02:55 -0700
Dan Martinez <dfm at area.com> wrote:

> Same here. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay until the very
> end, so thanks for describing how things turned out. It sure did
> do my heart good to see Robin Gross and John Gilmore waving down
> at us from the second-floor balcony during the break, and I wish I
> could have seen emerge triumphant.

More unfortunately the Adobe massacre appears a mostly false victory
and specifically ineffective in getting Dmitry released.  Quoting
Politech:

--<cut>--
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:26:26 -0400
To: politech at politechbot.com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
Subject: FC: Feds have not dropped charges; "Free Dmitry" website
  defacements

Politech archive on U.S. v. Sklyarov:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=sklyarov

********

    Sklyarov Release in Fed's Hands
    By Declan McCullagh (declan at wired.com)

    2:00 a.m. July 24, 2001 PDT
    WASHINGTON -- America's geeks want Dmitry freed.

    Hundreds of hackers, programmers and system administrators decamped
    from their cubicles on Monday and took to the streets to argue, in
    dozens of different ways, that Dmitry Sklyarov should not be in jail
    for creating code-breaking software.

    Some geekavists, who turned out in at least 10 cities, targeted FBI
    and Justice Department offices. The largest crowd, with about 100
    demonstrators, marched on the San Jose headquarters of Adobe Systems,
    whose copy protection scheme Sklyarov has been charged with
    penetrating.

    Adding additional drama to the day was a high-stakes meeting taking
    place inside Adobe's headquarters while protesters outside were
    chanting "Code is speech" and "Hey, hey, ho ho, DMCA has got to go."
    Board members of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which has taken
    up Sklyarov's cause, were meeting behind closed doors with Adobe to
    try to broker a deal that would let the 27-year-old Russian avoid a
    trial.

    It seemed to work. After over two hours of tense talks that began at
    11 a.m. PDT, Adobe and EFF negotiators struck a deal: Adobe would
    agree to recommend Sklyarov's release.

    [...]

    But what happens next is unclear -- and victory celebrations may be
    premature.

    Since this is a criminal matter and not a civil suit, Adobe's abrupt
    reversal doesn't automatically get Sklyarov out of jail. That requires
    the U.S. Attorney's office in San Francisco, which filed charges
    against Sklyarov earlier this month, to abandon the prosecution.

    "The only thing I can tell you is that this is a criminal matter
    brought by the United States against the defendant, and Adobe is not a
    party to that action," says Matt Jacobs, an assistant U.S. attorney in
    the San Francisco office.

    "If they back off, it will not be because Adobe has changed its mind,"
    says Andrew Grosso, a former assistant U.S. attorney who's now a
    lawyer in private practice. "If they back off, it will be because
    politically the people in the U.S. Attorney's office who are handling
    this feel they are unacceptably exposed and therefore have decided not
    to go forward."

    Grosso is active in the Association for Computing Machinery and has
    criticized the DMCA. But he admits that federal prosecutors like to be
    the first to try cases under new laws, and proudly says that he was
    the first prosecutor to use money laundering laws to gain a conviction
    in a white-collar case.

    [...]

*********