[svlug] Victory is sweet...

Wayne Earl wayne at qconcepts.net
Tue Jul 24 11:32:02 PDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Rick Moen wrote:
> That is what has been most galling of all:  what Adobe's corporate legally
> thuggery has been doing to _my_ country -- and will continue to be with a
> lower level of participation from them, until (1) all charges against
> Sklyarov are dropped, and (2) DMCA gets repealed or axed by the courts.

Agreed. While the protests were necessarily a good thing, in truth, they
accomplished little. Adobe's support in the criminal prosecution of
Sklyarov means little, as Adobe is not a party in the criminal charges.
Sklyarov is still in jail, and is still being charged with a crime. The
DMCA is still law.

As programmers, system administrators, engineers, scientists, and other
like minded people, we are part of one of the most economically well off
sector of America. Yet, when the DMCA was working it's way through the
halls of power, many of us did nothing but send a tolken donation to the
EFF and complain on slashdot.

I submit that the DMCA passed in part because, as a group, we allowed it
to.

I'll get off my soapbox now. This really isn't the appropriate place for
this, but I thought it important that we don't become too self
congradulatory.

--
Wayne Earl <wayne at qconcepts.net>
http://www.qconcepts.net