[svlug] Adobe press release: calls for release of Sklyarov

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Mon Jul 23 17:43:02 PDT 2001

It sounds like our protest made a difference today.  This afternoon Adobe
and EFF made a joint press release calling for the release of Dmitri Sklyarov.
Adobe is withdrawing their DMCA-based criminal complaint against Sklyarov.

   "Adobe, EFF Call for Release of Russian Programmer"
   http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200107/20010723dcma.html

We saw EFF founder John Gillmore wave at us from inside the building (and we
waved back) during what was apparently a break in EFF's negotiations with
Adobe today.

As usual, we had a well-bahaved and civil protest.  The San Jose Police had
started out observing as a standard procedure but they eventually left since
we weren't being a problem for passers-by.

Credit to the organizers.  I know Don Marti and Tabinda Khan coordinated it.
But many others whom I don't know by name were busily getting things done
that helped make this event happen.