[svlug] PPTP?

George Bonser george at shorelink.com
Sun Jul 22 12:43:02 PDT 2001

> Since I haven't seen the link posted yet in the context of the current
> discussion:
>
>     http://www.counterpane.com/pptp.html
>
> Contains pointers to analyses of PPTP v. 1 and PPTP v. 2. Both, as
> Rick has been asserting all along, were found intrinsically wanting.

And nobody has said that PPTP was any good. It is just that some
people need to interoperate with it. All PPTP is being used for is a basic
barrier to entry ... a feeble lock on the door but an important one.  Once
you make an effort to defeat the lock, you are breaking into the network
and you have commited a federal crime. The target of your efforts can now
bring law enforcement resources to bear against you. It is better than
leaving your stuff directly exposed to the Internet.

Nobody was ever arguing the merits of PPTP, the question was if there is
any Linux VPN software that interoperates as well with Windows. The answer
is "not yet".