[svlug] SuSE Linux 7.2

Terrio Echavez malaya at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 21 20:23:01 PDT 2001

Hello folks,

Well as far as "upgrading" SuSE boxes; it helps to have an nfs network
to another workstation where important files can be saved and retrieved
after the update - or even a Windows NT FAT of DOS FAT partition would
work out for the same saving and retrieval purposes if one had enough or
big enough hard drives.  Instaliing SuSE from "scratch" works out best
in my experience.

In any event, this was the first SuSE Linux that installed the 2.44
kernel with XFree86 4.3 and loaded the /dev/3dfx and the glidedri.rpm
during the installation; recognized my Voodoo 3 - 3500 TV Card
and,amazingly, my Viewsonic 14ES monitor which I have had for ages.  It
installs similar to Redhat 7.2, but in my opinion is a better
distribution - as it installs the Gnome 1.4 desktop and the KDE 2
desktop.  Gnome needs to be specifically requested during the
installation and needs to be updated somewhat at the http;//www.suse.de
gnome update download section (in German - but the rpms are
understandable) which took me about an hour to bring Gnome 1.4 to
enhanced capacity (with 2 733 Pentium processors and 256 mb ram - Gnome
and KDE2 both are fast).  DSL is supported and was easy to install, I
can play tuxracer and quake 3 arena and Doom 2 in accelerated 3d mode,
plus my xscreensaver does not crash.  AbiWord, gnumeric, netscape 4.77,
mozilla, and balsa work very nicely (balsa uses either netscape or
mozilla to retrieve web-formatted email using mutt).  RealPleyer 8 is
loaded during the install as well - and it is fun watching Like
Televison and BMW Films (streaming television and movies) using Real
Player 8 on a linux box with minimal configration.

I guess I am pleased as peaches with SuSE Linux 7.2

Best regards,

Terrio Echavez