[svlug] PPTP?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 21 18:48:01 PDT 2001

begin Christopher William Wesley quotation:

> Moen, what is your point?

Read the original badly-formed question, and you'll probably understand
my point.  If not, too bad.

> You haven't even attempted to answer any questions in here.

Really, now?  My goodness.  I'll wager that you're really, really,
really new to this mailing list.

> So far, I've seen you re-start this thread twice, by bringing in
> off-list convo.

I don't know what a "convo" is, but I have replied on-list only to list
posts.

> You've suggested not using PPTP when people have inquired about Linux
> & PPTP, or otherwise stated they'd like/have to use Linux & PPTP.

That is correct.  Your point?

> You've made some blatantly false statements regarding VPN software.

Cite, please.

> You've knocked this thread so far off topic from the original
> challenge, that it's worthless.

No doubt my insidious mind-control rays are preventing you from posting
the way you would be able to, otherwise.  You might try aluminum-foil
hats.

> "Try Google" is a complete cop-out way of saying "I don't know."

Yeah, sure.  And the LDP's VPN HOWTO is completely impossible to find,
that way.  We've heard that once before, so it must be true.

> And this is a mail list, where if you don't know or don't otherwise have
> something mildly intelligent to say, your best move is to not interject
> your ignorant cliches and off-topic suggestions.

When I want your advice, I'll be glad to let you know.

> You had/have the chance to help, but instead you post back and punt
> like an elitist, not like a GNU/Linux community member.

Oooh.  Telling people that PPTP is a badly designed protocol is a bad,
evil things to do, because it's _elitist_.  I see.  (That conveniently
side-steps the question of whether it's _correct_, but it's much more
important to be emotionally supportive and tell people how to do what
_they_ want to do.  After all, I'm obliged to work for random strangers
for free, aren't I?)

> You replied to a request for a link or a HOWTO with some tirade about how
> poor PPTP is.  Worthless.

Unless of course PPTP _is_ in fact a botched protocol.  But that would
be worthwhile information only if relevant background data are of
interest.

> Completely unsubstantiated,....

Ah, yes:  I forgot:  I work for you for free.  Silly of me to forget.

> ...and in the context of this thread, wrong.

There is null semantic content in that statement.

But I suspect you mean "But my employer doesn't _have_ a Unix box!  He
is only set up to offer PPTP from MS-Windows NT!"  Thus my point:  It
offers only joke-box security -- and the obvious solution to the lack of
a Unix box at the office end of things is to _add_ one.

And if he can't do that, tough.  Not my problem.

> "Why don't you try using the Google search engine ..."
> What makes you think that hadn't been done?  Worthless.

Ah, yes:  The guy who couldn't find the VPN HOWTO on item three of the
first results page.  I remember!

> He aked _you_ a question.

And, indeed, I _have_ to work hard to answer it!  It's a moral imperative.

> Did you author all the Linux VPN related
> content accessible to Google?

I have a better irrelevant question:  Why is a raven like a writing
desk?

> Real classic.

The gentleman just got through saying he _hadn't_ posted a well-formed
question, and would be more specific in the future.  If you have a
problem with this, complain to him, not me.

> Here's the original challenge ... would you like to try again at being
> helpful?

Not for you, chump.  You can take a hike.

--
Cheers,           "I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate
Rick Moen         those who do.  And, for the people who like country music,