Free Dmitry Sklyarov demonstration (was: Re: [svlug] Dmitry Sklyarov)

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Sat Jul 21 15:37:02 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 05:35:41PM -0700, Greg Herlein wrote:
> Wrote, sold and distributed the works.  Aside from whether the
> DCMA is wrong (I think it is) I think it's the height of
> arrogance to arrest a Russian national in the US for an act he
> committed on his soil...

Noriega was arrested for acts committed on Panamanian soil.  Not only
that, but we committed a Panamanian crime (kidnapping) within Panama
in bringing him to justice here.  Of course, since Noriega usurped power
from the democratically elected leader of Panama, they didn't complain.

Did you voice a protest on that event?  If not, and if you were aware
of the Noriega arrest, then your claim above is difficult to support.
In general, I think we, as a country, are arrogant.

> ...He came to the US to present a paper and give a talk, and was
> arrested here - but the act he was arrested for took place in
> Russia, where it very legal to do what he did.

This holds no relevance under US law.  Protest that if you feel it is
wrong.

> I find it ironic, having once been active duty military staring
> down the torpedo tubes of the Russian navy (so to speak) that
> Russia now has more freedoms - in one very important aspect
> anyway - than we do.

I agree.  I'm just afraid that the only reason for this has nothing to
do with freedom and all to do with wealth.

--
Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...

Linux 10th Anniversary Picnic/BBQ - visit http://linux10.org