[svlug] Boycotting Adobe

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sat Jul 21 00:07:01 PDT 2001

>Doesn't Adobe hole the cpoy right to PDF?
>
>If one is going to boycott Adobe, one would need to boycott all PDF
>documents. This is going to be difficult, since a lot of the stuff on the
>web is in PDF.

Bullpucky. I can create PDF documents any number of ways that don't
involve Adobe software. For one thing, I am writing this missive on
MacOS X, which has PS -> PDF as a part of its print preview program
and uses Display PDF as its imaging model (specifically so as NOT to
have to pay Adobe royalties btw).

>	Boycotting Acrobat Reader is easy, since one can use GhostView.
>And one can create PDF files by pdflatex. But it will not be easy
>boycotting PDF.

::sigh::

Why not boycott Postscript as well? I mean, that's their primary money stream.

Note: it's more important, if you wish to harm their revenue stream,
not to buy a postscript printer than boycotting a document format,
even if it is the black hole of all file formats.
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com    http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time.... Is infinite time. You... are finite....