Free Dmitry Sklyarov demonstration (was: Re: [svlug] Dmitry Sklyarov)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 20 23:28:01 PDT 2001

begin Drew Bertola quotation:

> The strange thing is that the DMCA is supposed to protect copyrights.
> I didn't know it also protects seriously week technologies designed to
> protect copyrights.

It does.  In fact, June SVLUG speaker Jon Callas of Counterpane Internet
Security, Inc. characterised it, very succinctly, as "the Snake-Oil
Protection Act of 1998".  Sorry you couldn't make it to that meeting.  ;->

> So why can Adobe use the DMCA (unless they hold the rights to publish
> copyrighted material).

Read the DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions -- and remember that this
is NOT a civil action we're talking about here, but rather a criminal
one.  Legal standing is not an issue.

--
Cheers,            "Please return all dogmas to their orthodox positions."
Rick Moen                                 -- Brad Johnson, in r.a.sf.w.r-j
rick at linuxmafia.com