[svlug] Boycotting Adobe

Sanatan Rai sanat at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 20 20:15:02 PDT 2001

: You can both read and create PDFs with free, non-Adobe software.
:
:        ps2pdf  uses  gs(1)  to  convert  the  PostScript(tm) file
:        "input.ps" to the Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)  in
:        "output.pdf."
:
: It's part of the Ghostscript tools package.
:
: See ps2pdf.com for more information -- they have a web front end to it.

	Quite. I already use GhostView and LaTeX. My point was about the
PDF itself: it is copyright to Adobe. So the minute a document is in PDF,
and one reads it, one is _not boycotting_ Adobe, even if one adds in the
extra step of using pdf2ps on it first.

--Sanatan

Sanatan Rai,                      | E.-mail: sanat at stanford.edu
Dept. of Management Sc. & Engg.   | Home: 100 N. Whisman Road 4316,
Stanford University,              |       Mountain View, Ca 94043.
Stanford, Ca 94305.               | 'phone: (650) 964 0220 (R)
EMail: sanat at stanford.edu                   (650) 736 2109 (O)