[svlug] request: which notebook to buy?

John Donagher john at webmeta.com
Fri Jul 20 19:54:02 PDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> I looked at the SVLUG site, but there doesn't seem to be a way to search
> archives of this list? (http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/)
>
> I'm wanting to get a notebook computer in the <$1500 range if possible that
> I can dual boot Linux on. I'd like it to be fairly hassle free to install
> RH7.1 on, with full support of all the major notebook features, especially
> resolution, OpenGL, Ethernet, Modem, USB, APM, Audio.

Check out the Linux Hardware Compat HOWTO. You should be able to find it on
RedHat's site. There is also a Linux for Laptops site,
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

My laptop, a Dell C600, works very well with the exception of the internal
modem. I don't care about it, so I haven't really tried, but when I did look I
think it was a winmodem and hence unsupported.

> For Linux I'd be using mainly X-windows and testing PHP/mySQL stuff with
> it's own built in Apache. On the "other" side, I'll be writing Music, so
> audio quality would be appreciated (good internal sound card & speakers
> would be ideal). 3D Graphics Hardware acceleration would be mandatory on
> that side as well. So preferably an nVidia chipset (I think that currently
> is only Dell and Toshiba).

I'd say forget internal laptop speakers. Get a good set of headphones.

> I'd love it to have dual head support. So I can use the LCD as one of the
> displays, and/or use the VGA output to a monitor and also have a second
> monitor.

I've never seen this in action. Since it's unlikely (?) that you will have dual
video adapters in the laptop, you're talking about the ATI DualView stuff. From
what I understand, the only current linux support is through the X-server from
XiG and (according to their sales rep) requires that you run both output
devices at the same resolution. That killed the interest for me.

John