[svlug] request: which notebook to buy?

Daevid Vincent DayWalker at TheMatrix.com
Fri Jul 20 19:19:01 PDT 2001

I looked at the SVLUG site, but there doesn't seem to be a way to search
archives of this list? (http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/)

I'm wanting to get a notebook computer in the <$1500 range if possible that
I can dual boot Linux on. I'd like it to be fairly hassle free to install
RH7.1 on, with full support of all the major notebook features, especially
resolution, OpenGL, Ethernet, Modem, USB, APM, Audio.

For Linux I'd be using mainly X-windows and testing PHP/mySQL stuff with
it's own built in Apache. On the "other" side, I'll be writing Music, so
audio quality would be appreciated (good internal sound card & speakers
would be ideal). 3D Graphics Hardware acceleration would be mandatory on
that side as well. So preferably an nVidia chipset (I think that currently
is only Dell and Toshiba).

I'd love it to have dual head support. So I can use the LCD as one of the
displays, and/or use the VGA output to a monitor and also have a second
monitor.

Thanks for any suggestions on Makes/Models.

daevid.com