Free Dmitry Sklyarov demonstration (was: Re: [svlug] Dmitry Sklyarov)

Greg Herlein gherlein at herlein.com
Fri Jul 20 17:36:02 PDT 2001

> than just "point out a flaw" in Adobe's eBook encryption scheme?  I
> believe the complaint was that he wrote and distributed tools to
> undermine the encryption scheme.

Wrote, sold and distributed the works.  Aside from whether the
DCMA is wrong (I think it is) I think it's the height of
arrogance to arrest a Russian national in the US for an act he
committed on his soil.  He came to the US to present a paper and
give a talk, and was arrested here - but the act he was arrested
for took place in Russia, where it very legal to do what he did.

I find it ironic, having once been active duty military staring
down the torpedo tubes of the Russian navy (so to speak) that
Russia now has more freedoms - in one very important aspect
anyway - than we do.

Greg