Free Dmitry Sklyarov demonstration (was: Re: [svlug] Dmitry Sklyarov)

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Fri Jul 20 15:02:01 PDT 2001

>From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
>begin Seth David Schoen quotation:
>> The EFF has called for a demonstration at the San Jose headquarters
>> of Adobe.
>>
>> http://www.eff.org/alerts/20010719_eff_sklyarov_alert.html
>>
>> Monday, July 23, starting in San Jose before noon with a meeting and
>> march to the Adobe building.
>
>I've duly added this to the BALE calendar.  Also, I'll be coming to the
>event from Fremont, and can take several passengers.  Please let me
>know, off-list.

I forwarded Seth's message to the Linux user group at work.  One of our
members outside Boston pointed out that EFF has just asked to put the
protests "on hold" (not "cancelled") since Adobe has agreed to talk with
EFF.  http://www.eff.org/ has a brief mention of it.  I didn't see any
change to the alert page when I checked it.

Though I couldn't find an online confirmation, he said that not all local
EFF chapters agree with the hold and some are proceeding with the protest
anyway.  I'll go with the local chapter's decision since this is where
Adobe's headquarters is.  If they hold the protest, it needs to be have
attendance to make its point.

"Point out a flaw, go to jail."  It's worth opposing.