[svlug] DSL Modems - DSL San Francisco?

Greg Herlein gherlein at herlein.com
Fri Jul 20 07:16:01 PDT 2001

> Why not a standalone ADSL box?  We use a Westel, here, and it seems
> fine.  Security and traffic management are left up to the individual
> outside-network hosts.  Works for me.  No driver issues.  No hardware
> hassle.  It just plugs away, moving packets to and from our LAN.

I'd like to do some advanced routing on and off my net -
basically, giving VoIP packets queue priority over TCP
anything.  I realize that I cannot control the pipe on the public
side of the box, but at least I could somewhat control it at the
interface point.

And, there's a firewall/NAT box just inside my router anyway, so
going with a DSL card would actually eliminate one small box in
my computer closet.  :)

I have an Ascend IDSL box now that works just like your Westel -
and it works fine.  I could potentially just keep it and use it
with the new DSL vender, but thought I would explore this other
option for awhile.

Greg